NECO Center for Eye Care includes two comprehensive vision centers at Commonwealth Ave and Roslindale that provide primary eye care and specialty services to individuals at all stages of life. Formerly known as New England Eye, NECO Center for Eye Care serves as the clinical teaching affiliate of the New England College of Optometry (NECO). At our centers, we not only understand your eyes and vision completely -- we also research the latest technology in eye care. We are intentionally different, and proudly all encompassing in the services we provide.
Why Choose NECO Center for Eye Care?
NECO Center for Eye Care is the patient care teaching facility for New England College of Optometry. Your care is provided by a licensed optometrist working with our highly trained optometric students. Our skilled doctors:
- Examine, treat, and manage disorders that affect the eye and vision
- Provide diagnostic testing, imaging, and treatment utilizing state-of-the-art optometric equipment
- Provide superior care to patients and excellent clinical training to students
- Apply cutting-edge innovations and optometric treatments
- Offer urgent care/walk-in appointments and same day appointments
Our services feature advanced eye and vision care for individuals at all stages of life. Specific services include: Primary Eye Care, Cornea and Contact Lenses, Vision Therapy, Pediatric Eye Care, Low Vision Rehabilitation, Consultative Ophthalmic Care, and Myopia Control.
We also help coordinate health services such as occupational therapy for children, older adults, those with low vision, the homeless, and individuals who are either physically or mentally challenged.
NECO Center for Eye Care is part of the NECO Clinical Network, one of the largest providers of optometric services in Massachusetts with nearly 90,000 patient visits annually in more than 43 locations. Our providers and students provide comprehensive, state of the art vision care to individuals at every stage of their life through the network of vision centers, clinical affiliates, school programs, and community partnerships and outreach. Our priority is being at the forefront of delivering comprehensive eye care to the community and to advancing the future of eye health. We provide you and your family with the best available patient service from the moment you walk in the door to follow-up care after your visit. We encourage you to schedule an appointment to see the difference for yourself.
- Comprehensive Eye Exams to assess complete vision assessment and eye health
- Specialty Services such as low vision rehabilitation, vision therapy, complex contact lenses, and sports vision
- Eyeglass and Sunglass Frames, Specialty Lenses, and Contact lenses – selection, custom fitting, and advanced eyewear technology in our optical center
- Patient-centered Approach to Eye Health and Overall Health
- Eye Care for All Ages from Infants and Children to Adults and Older Adults
- Nationally Recognized Optometrists, Consultant Ophthalmologists, and Opticians
- Top-rated Academic and Teaching Program partnering award winning doctors with optometric students
- State-of-the-art Technology
- Patient Service and Support – Patient Care Associates who care about answering your questions, working with you and navigating through your insurance plan information
Our optometrists work with New England College of Optometry students to carry on the College’s long tradition of serving the community. Whether traveling to schools to conduct vision screenings, dispensing glasses in Boston’s inner city neighborhoods, or providing eye care to veterans, bringing vision care to those in need is at the heart of what we do.
- Enhancing Life for Older Adults
Our doctors and students provide eye care to more than 1,500 senior citizens annually. Screenings, preventative eye care, education, and environmental modifications such as improved lighting and contrast are offered to seniors in their own homes, at adult day care centers and at senior centers. This ultimately helps seniors remain in their homes as long as possible and enhances the quality of life.
- Strengthening Communities
Our doctors and students serve 20,000 patients annually in our two flagship sites - NECO Center for Eye Care Commonwealth and Roslindale - as well as at Veterans Administration patient care sites and Boston hospitals. Throughout the NECO Clinical Network, our optometrists work with interdisciplinary health care teams including internists, pediatricians, dietitians, and social workers to provide comprehensive healthcare to patients. Our work in Boston-area community health centers provides care to Boston's diverse ethnic populations from around the world, including Haiti, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Southeast Asia, and Eastern Europe.
- Advancing Achievement
New England College of Optometry collaborates with area schools and Boys and Girls Clubs to conduct free vision screenings and comprehensive eye exams to kindergarten and school-aged children. Since 1989, more than 100,000 Boston school children have received free vision screenings. More than 6,000 children are screened each year. These screenings often reveal potential health issues and identify vision impairments that can lead to poor school performance.
- Instilling Confidence
Patients with disabilities are examined by our optometrists and students in special schools and rehabilitation centers. Magnifiers, corrective lenses and reading stands are just a few of the materials offered to increase an individual's visual capabilities, thereby encouraging self-confidence. Approximately 1,500 individuals with disabilities are seen each year at locations such as the New England Eye Low Vision Clinic at Perkins School for the Blind.